The Best Time to Tune Up Your Air Conditiong
We recommend getting your air conditioning unit serviced and cleaned at least once a year. The optimum time is in the spring to ensure your system will run with the most efficiency during the hottest summer months. You need to be able to rely on your air conditioner for your comfort as summer approaches.
But even if you miss that window, we recommend finding a convenient time to tune up your cooling equipment. Your air conditioner plays a vital role in your home’s comfort and safety.
In addition to scheduling professional service, remember to routinely change your HVAC filter. You can reduce your household energy use by up to 15 percent with a clean filter, according to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
Are you looking for cooling experts in your neighborhood? Carrier Colorado is a statewide network of factory-licensed professionals. Contact us today to find a certified Carrier dealer near you.
Why Do I Need an AC Tune-Up?
Don’t skip maintenance—it’s a critical part of owning heating and cooling equipment. Here are four reasons why your air conditioning needs to be professionally serviced this spring:
- Skipping maintenance can be dangerous.
During a tune-up, your HVAC technician will clean and check condenser coils and evaporators, if necessary, clean and adjust blower components for proper system airflow and check ducts for debris. If debris is present, remove it to allow for maximum airflow. This keeps you safe from risks like carbon monoxide (CO), an invisible and odorless gas that can be lethal. It also ensures that your indoor air quality (IAQ) is at its best.
- It makes it less likely that you’ll need a repair.
The longer an issue goes unnoticed, the more damage it’s likely to incur. During a visit, your technician can quickly spot and fix minor problems before they turn into more costly repairs. That way, you can be confident that your air conditioner will keep you cool all summer without interruption.
- It increases your air conditioner’s lifespan.
With consistent maintenance, your AC can last at least 10 years. Without it, you may need to replace it earlier than you anticipated. That’s why regular maintenance is a condition on most manufacturers’ warranties—there’s no guaranteeing it will operate the way it’s supposed to if a professional doesn’t service it routinely.
- It keeps your utility bills lower.
Notice your energy expenses are higher than usual? This may be a sign of a poorly maintained equipment. When your equipment doesn’t get the care it deserves, it ends up using more energy than necessary to produce heating. Your AC is an essential asset for your Colorado home—invest in it and you’ll enjoy savings in the long term.
What Is Included in an HVAC Tune-Up?
Professional service takes between 45 minutes and an hour. During that time, your Carrier Colorado professional will assess your furnace’s performance, and ensure that it’s operating safely.
During your visit, your professional will check the following components:
• Clean and check aluminum fins. If they are crushed or bent in any fashion, this affects proper air distribution.
• Inspect internal parts for broken, chipped, or other damage, which may not be easily noticed. If your air conditioner continues to run with damaged parts or areas, your system will eventually fail.
• Clean and check condensate drain, to prevent any blockages or mold buildup. Backups can cause water damage to equipment.
• Tighten connections, both mechanical and electrical. Loose connections cause incorrect operations.
• Check coolant level for leaks. Leaks prevent your air conditioner from working, and the refrigerant could damage anything it touches.
• Check system’s thermostat for accuracy.
• Check system controls to be sure all work safely.
• Provide you with a summary of work performed and share any findings regarding needed repairs or upgrades, as well as maintenance you can perform yourself between maintenance visits.
After the inspection is complete, your professional will present you with a detailed assessment of their findings. If any follow-up visits will be needed for a repair, we’ll provide a timeline and an upfront quote.
Need HVAC Maintenance? Find a Professional Near You Today.
Carrier Colorado is a network of factory-certified Carrier dealers across the state. Call 303-479-4813 or find a dealer near you today.