3 Tips to Extend Your HVAC Equipment
Whether dealing with a relentless winter storm or a scorching summer day here in Colorado, a reliable heating and cooling system protects your home against the elements.
Reward your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment for all the comfort it provides. Schedule preventative maintenance with a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer through Carrier West. Doing so means fewer repairs and lower energy costs.
The cost savings can be significant. A U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) study found that scheduling preventative HVAC maintenance can result in up to 20 percent annual savings.
How Long Will My HVAC System Last?
A typical heating and cooling system can last anywhere from 10 to 25 years with proper care and maintenance.
Type of system: Different types of systems have different average lifespans. Here’s a quick breakdown:
- Furnaces: 15-20 years
- Boilers: 20-35 years
- Air conditioners: 12-15 years
- Heat pumps: 15-20 years
- Ductless mini-splits: 10-30 years
The amount of usage, your climate, and how well you maintain your system factor in how long it will last. Having your system installed correctly can also make a significant difference.
3 Ways to Keep Your HVAC System Running Smoothly
Whenever you are ready to buy new HVAC equipment, you can trust Carrier to help you make the best selection for your Southern Colorado, Northern Colorado, Eastern Plains, Western Slope, Denver Metro-West, Denver Metro-East, Denver Metro-North, and Denver Metro-South home. Plus, Carrier will always help you find state and federal tax credits and rebates to make your new system even more affordable.
But until then, here are some sound tips to get the most mileage out of your HVAC system:
1. Embrace the Power of Preventative Maintenance: Consider a professional tune-up as your HVAC system’s annual physical. A qualified technician will meticulously inspect every component, identify potential issues before they become costly problems, and ensure everything operates smoothly.
- Extended Lifespan: Regular tune-ups catch small problems before they snowball into expensive repairs, adding years to your HVAC system’s life.
- Peak Performance: A well-maintained system runs more efficiently, uses less energy, and lowers your monthly bills.
- Reduced Breakdowns: A tuned-up HVAC system is less likely to experience sudden breakdowns, keeping you comfortable and stress-free.
2. Understanding Airflow: Your air filter is the unsung hero of indoor air quality. It acts as a shield, trapping dust, pollen, and pet hair before they can infiltrate your lungs and trigger allergies. However, a clogged filter is like a blocked drain—it forces your HVAC system to work harder, leading to higher energy bills and premature wear.
- Enhanced Indoor Air Quality (IAQ): Breathe easy, knowing your filter is capturing those pesky allergens and pollutants.
- Optimal Efficiency: A clean filter allows for unobstructed airflow, maximizing your system’s efficiency and saving you money on energy costs.
- Extended System Life: Less strain on your HVAC system translates to a longer lifespan, saving you money on replacements in the long run.
Check the HVAC filter monthly to see if it is clogged with debris. Otherwise, follow your manufacturer’s recommendation on how often to change it.
3. Thermostat Rule: Your thermostat is the control center for your HVAC system, dictating your home’s comfort level one degree at a time. Constantly adjusting it stresses your system. One minute, you want it warm; the next minute, not so warm!
Resist the urge to crank the thermostat up or down by drastic amounts. A few degrees can significantly impact your comfort and energy bills. Invest in a programmable thermostat that allows you to schedule indoor temperatures according to your lifestyle.
- Reduced Energy Costs: ENERGY STAR® estimates a programmable thermostat can save you up to 10 percent on your heating and cooling bills annually.
- Consistent Comfort: Enjoy personalized comfort levels throughout the day without manually adjusting the thermostat every hour.
- Extended HVAC Lifespan: By minimizing stress on your system, you’ll prolong its lifespan and avoid costly replacements.
Consider these tips to transform your HVAC system into a champion of comfort, efficiency, and cost savings. A little preventative care goes a long way!
Call Carrier Today
Reach out to a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer from our Carrier West directory for more tips on how to get the most value from your HVAC equipment. We serve homes and businesses in Southern Colorado, Northern Colorado, Eastern Plains, Western Slope, Denver Metro-West, Denver Metro-East, Denver Metro-North, and Denver Metro-South.